Monday, December 10, 2012

25 Things Before 25: #20. Perform a piece of music written for me

Performing a world premiere!
Yesterday was my Master's degree recital.  It was pretty awesome! I was very terrified leading up to it, but I think it went pretty well.  I say "think" not because I'm attempting to be modest, but because it was so much of a blur that I can't even remember how it was!  It was so nice to have so many friends and family members there, some of them from far away.  My parents drove a round trip of eleven hours in one day to come see it, which was really sweet.  One of the many great perks of going to Yale is that they have live-streaming for every concert, so many close friends and family were able to watch from afar, including my older sister, who lives in Germany.

One of the pieces I performed was Andre Mehmari's Music for Horn and Piano, which was a world premiere of a work written for me.  I got to know Andre through a mutual friend, and I loved his music when I listened to it on his website and on YouTube, so thanks to the International Horn Society's Rimon Fund, I was able to commission him to write something for me to perform on my recital!  I really liked how the piece came out, even though it was very technically challenging.  Many of the audience members told me how much they liked it as well.  I'm interested to hear how it came across on the recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment