Thursday, July 1, 2010

Endings in Brazil and Beginnings in Colombia

Saturday was supposed to be the day when I would finally see the beach here. Unfortunately, I woke up to a sky full of clouds and a periodic sprinkling of rain. In the morning, while most of my friends were sleeping in after a late night out on Friday, I got some practicing done and also wrote my whole previous blog entry. For lunch we were going to go to a restaurant where they sell traditional Bahian food, but it was closed for some reason, so instead we ate at the food court at the mall. The food court here is much different than in any American mall I’ve visited before. Instead of just things like McDonald’s and some fake Chinese restaurants, this mall had sit-down restaurants. Even the take-out was classier than in the United States – we ordered our meals and then when we picked them up they were on real plates, with real metal utensils and everything. Also, instead of just the chicken dish that I ordered, it came with three sides. It was like something you would have in a real restaurant, rather than fast food.

In the afternoon, since it wasn’t beach weather, we went to see the sights of Salvador. First we went to this big hill with a huge statue of Jesus on the top, which also overlooked the old part of the city and the ocean. It was super windy – other than when I was on the Great Wall, it’s the most wind I’ve ever experienced! It was difficult to even stand up straight. Then we went to Salvador’s lighthouse. We didn’t go up, but we walked around the base. Then we went to the Pelourinho, which is the old town of Salvador, which is full of cobblestone alleys. Salvador actually was the first capitol of Brazil and we saw a lot of buildings and churches from the 15th and 16th centuries. The Pelourinho was full of souvenir shops, but of course they were all designed for tourists and so I passed on that. It was such a tourist trap that there were Brazilians
on the street handing out ribbons for free to people. You can’t take them though – they use these ribbons to mark the tourists for pick pocketing. Most of the time during this sight-seeing we had to leave all of our stuff in the car except for a few reals (Brazilian currency) and our cameras, just in case. Also in the old town, there were a lot of street performances, which are designed for tourists too but were interesting anyways. There are a few types of music that are specifically from the city of Salvador, which mostly involve African-style drumming. That’s because Salvador is kind of the center of African culture in Brazil. It’s really interesting. There were also a lot of people in traditional dress, but funnily enough only the women were – the men wore Brazil football (soccer) jerseys! I guess that’s a different kind of traditional dress for them.

On Sunday, I finally got to go to the beach! We went to a beach called Ipitanga or something like that. Even though the place it was located was still actually part of the city of Salvador, it was beautiful and just as I imagined Brazilian beaches to be. The waves were pretty rough but I like swimming in the ocean when there are lots of waves. The sand was great, and it was very picturesque. Right before we left there was even a full rainbow that lasted for about five minutes! The tide there is so strong that it covers the entire beach when it comes in, but by that time it had started to rain a little so we decided to just call it a day. I escaped sunburn-free, except for part of my back. But it isn’t too bad and I had a fantastic time!

Monday and Tuesday I gave sectionals in the morning, and then observing full orchestra rehearsal in the afternoons. Monday was an exciting day for me – in the sectional I was finally able to really make them sound like a great horn section! Unfortunately, some members of the section forgot what we worked on in the morning once we got to the afternoon full rehearsal, and two of the six horn players couldn’t make it to the morning rehearsal. If I were here longer, I’m sure I’d be able to make them sound like that in everyday rehearsals. I guess that just means I’ll just need to come for longer next time! If they invite me back, I’m definitely going to learn some Portuguese (and maybe I’ll learn some regardless – it’s a very beautiful language and so similar to Spanish that it won’t be that difficult.

While I was upset to leave Brazil after such a short time there, it was amazing to realize what close friendships I had made in just a few short days. It was incredibly crushing to say my last goodbyes to everyone in the orchestra.

My last night in Brazil was unforgettable. I went out with my usual friends to dinner, and this time we went to this perfect restaurant on the marina. The view was spectacular, the food was amazing, and the company was unbeatable. We got back so late – at about 1:30 in the morning, and I hadn’t even started to pack yet. I’m sure once I get settled in here in Colombia I’m going to realize I forgot some really important things. So far the only thing I know I forgot was this beautiful seashell my friend found for me on the beach. I’m hoping I can get it back somehow.

I’m really hoping I’ll be able to return next year. Numerous members of the orchestra already told me that the horn section was sounding tons better, so hopefully that means they’ll invite me back. Next time, I’m going to go there speaking some Portuguese and stay for a much longer time.

After going to bed probably around 2:45 or so (because I had to pack all my stuff), the driver was coming to get me at 4:45 so I didn’t sleep much at all. The drive to the airport was a mirror of that on my first day in Brazil – a driver with whom I couldn’t communicate at all and kind of a sketchy pick-up situation, but everything worked out fine! To get to Bogotá I had to fly through São Paulo. My first flight took about 2 ½ hours. I then had a lengthy stopover during which I happened to run into a YOA friend from last year. We couldn’t arrange to sit together on the next flight, which was unfortunate because instead I was sitting next to this fat man who was really sketchy, so I couldn’t really sleep at all. That flight was about 5 ½ hours long.

Upon arrival in Colombia, YOA staff members met us. We then had a little free time before getting on the bus. During this free time I was lucky enough to get a yellow fever vaccine. Yippee. Anyways, apparently the trip from the airport to our hotel takes about 5 hours, including our stop for dinner. I know one of my roommates from last tour, but the other one I have yet to meet. Apparently we have auditions first thing tomorrow morning, which should be interesting since I couldn’t practice today at all, and yesterday I didn’t have time to practice much what with everything that was going on, and my whole time at NEOJIBÁ I wasn’t exactly concentrating on the excerpts. But we’ll see. The coach, Javier, knows my playing pretty well so I’m sure things will be fine. I’m excited to meet the other horn players and see all my friends from last summer, but I’m still feeling an intense sadness regarding leaving Salvador.

The view from my apartment in Salvador.



Kathy and me with part of the city of Salvador in the background.

Old town Salvador!

2 comments:

  1. hi lauren,

    sounds like you had a great time! I'm a bit jealous... I really would have loved to go to S. America this summer. At least I now finished my Konzertexamen with the highest grade on Tuesday, so I'm graduated. Now I'm preparing a concerto that I have to play with the SHMF Chamber Orch in 3 weeks on the cruise. I just started, but at least it's not too difficult... the first Mendelssohn violin concerto in d minor that people don't really know and he wrote as a kid. Anyways say hi to everyone for me, and I hope you have a great time.

    PS I would love to come as a violin coach, and I know Rafa would too!!!!!!!!!!! You should recommend us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Rachelle! Good luck with everything at Schleswig! I'll let you know when we find out the seatings and stuff. I'll also put in a good word for you both at NEOJIBA if they invite me back.

    ReplyDelete