Monday, July 26, 2010

Cali and Bogotá (Days 22-25)

I’m sorry I haven’t updated this blog in so long, but the tour is starting to get the point where everyone is tired all the time. Sorry! Here is the update for the rest of our time in Colombia. Look for an entry on Ecuador and Perú coming up soon!

Cali was the city we visited after Barranquilla. Cali is the salsa capital of Colombia, which means we had a fun-filled time there. The first night we were going to go out, but we were all too tired from a long day of traveling so we ended up staying in and playing a wonderfully fun card game called Burro until 5 AM. One of my friends in the YOA horn section is from Cali, and studies at the conservatory there, so at our concert the next day, I had the privilege of meeting his horn professors. I also met his younger brother, who is also an accomplished horn player. Later that night we went out on the town for a night of dancing. I was on the first flight to Bogotá the next day, so I stayed up all night that night. I’m becoming an expert at salsa and meringue! One of the things I will miss most about Latin America is the lack of good dancing music in the United States.

Upon arrival in Bogotá, I had a free afternoon and evening. Many of my best friends from the tour live in Bogotá, but most were on the second flight. First we went to the apartment of one of my friends, and also looked around the music school she attends. Afterwards, we went to the old town area of Bogotá, where we saw the “White House” of Colombia and went to the Botero museum. Botero is a very famous Colombian artist. You would probably know him from his paintings of fat people. The next day we had two concerts. The first was sold out two weeks before so they added another, which was also sold out by the time the concert started. It was really exciting, because two of my friends from the World Orchestra tour of China who live in Bogotá came to the concerts. It was fantastic to get to see them again, even though we weren’t able to hang out much. Also, the energy at these concerts was fantastic. Because so many people were from there, everyone really wanted to play their best. Also, during the encores, I danced for the first time ever to thank all the Colombians who taught me to dance during the tour. Afterwards we went to a friend’s apartment where once again we danced the whole night until once again I had a flight with no sleep at 5am. I was so sad to leave. I know I made friends in Colombia to last a lifetime. I hope I’ll be able to go back to visit sometime very soon.

In general, I was so glad to have spent so much time in Colombia this summer. I really loved the country and by the end of the tour I actually felt partially Colombian. I learned how to play a few folk songs and I learned a ton of Colombian slang. It was a different type of love than that I felt for Brazil. In Brazil, I felt really comfortable and happy in a vacation sort of way. I did have a great time there. But in Colombia, I really felt like I belonged there. It’s a different sort of feeling. I hope I can go back to Colombia one day and live there for at least a few months or something.

So that's what I was up to in my final days in Colombia. Below are some photos from the end of this part of the tour. I'll write soon about what's been going on since then!

The double horn section after our last concert together.

With my Colombian friends on the last night of the Colombia tour.

1 comment:

  1. I love the photos! You and your friends look really happy and as if you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete