Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Music I Love #2

Today's tune is a quintet from Mozart's opera, The Magic Flute.  This is one of my favorite songs from an all-together incredible opera.  It is known as the "padlock quintet" because the quintet opens with the character, Papageno, singing despite the padlock that has been magically placed over his mouth.  The version I have put below is performed by the Metropolitan Opera in 2006, with James Levine conducting.  They sing in English, so you should be able to understand it pretty well.


My favorite part of this begins at 3:25.  It sounds like the infinitely famous canon by Pachabel (listen below - I'm sure you will recognize it, even though this version, ahem, takes some liberties), but with the influence of Mozart's genius.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment