Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Music I Love #1

So, in my blog resolutions, I promised more posts, and about one per week about music.  Talk about fail - I haven't even done one yet! So here is the first one.


This is the Serenade by Richard Strauss.  It's written for an ensemble of thirteen instruments (two flutes, two oboes, two clarinets, two bassoons, four horns, and contrabassoon or string bass), and is usually performed without conductor.  This is one of my favorite pieces of music, and I've been fortunate enough to play it a couple times already.  The first time, it was my first time playing anything with other serious musicians, even though we were all in high school at the time, and thus it was unforgettable.  The second time, I played it at the Youth Orchestra of the Americas in one of their chamber concerts.  It was really fun to play together with musicians I had only played with previously in orchestral settings.  And finally, one of my chamber ensembles is hoping to add a few people and perform this, maybe later this semester or next year sometime.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Listen for my favorite part at 8:00.  How I love the way those melodies overlap...

Until next time!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment