Wednesday, October 1, 2014

25 Things: Go Gluten-Free! Part 1: Preparation

I am going to spend a month (October 1-October 31) eating gluten-free.  I decided to do this because it is pretty trendy right now and I want to see what all the fuss is about, plus I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds.

So, what is gluten anyways? Even a lot of people who don't eat it don't know what it is, as evidenced by this video made by Jimmy Kimmel Live.


According to Wikipedia, "gluten is a protein composite found in wheat and related grins, including barley and rye, [which] gives elasticity to dough, helping it rise and keep its shape and often gives the final product a chewy texture."

Not eating gluten for a month is going to be a HUGE challenge for me.  My diet is very based around carbs, including lots of pasta and bread in the form of sandwiches, wraps, and crackers.  My first step is to find out exactly what I can and can't eat.
-Nothing made with traditional wheat flour.  This eliminates pastas, couscous, cereal, and breads (including flour tortillas) aka my lifeblood.  Also, nothing breaded - pretty much nothing fried.
-No beer or anything cooked in beer.
-No soy sauce.
-Check packaging of soups, teas, processed meats (cold cuts, hot dogs, etc), sugar, coffee, and salad dressings.

So, what CAN I eat?
-Corn-based versions of things normally made with wheat flour, such as cornbread, corn tortillas
-Rice and quinoa
-Things made with alternative flours (rice flour, quinoa flour, millet flour, sorghum flour, amaranth flour, etc.)
-Oats and oatmeal that is labeled as being gluten-free
-Nuts, coconuts, and beans including chickpeas
-Potatoes and sweet potatoes
-Jams and jellies

From what I read, it seems like I have to eat a lot of fresh produce, which should be really great for me anyways.  I can continue to eat plain meat (not processed, ie. chicken breasts, steaks) and eggs.  I can also use plain tofu as a protein source.  Some sources suggested to substitute potatoes for bread to satisfy cravings for starches.  Keep rice as a base for meals rather than bread.  I can eat plain yogurt, which normally I hate, but may be bearable with added fresh fruits or jam.  Most cheeses are still allowed, but I need to check the packaging to make sure.  Substitute wraps made with corn or brown rice tortillas, or lettuce.  I'm going to stick with wines in terms of alcohol consumption, with possible forays into unflavored liquors if I get tired of wines or there is not a good selection available.  While gluten-free products such as breads are available, apparently they taste really different, and it is recommended to wait two weeks before trying any of these products to let your taste buds adjust.

Note: I got a lot of this information from this website:  http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/how-to-go-g-free.html  Just want to credit them properly!

Since it seems like I'll be subsiding mostly on fresh produce (yay!), I also decided to take a look at what is in season this month, so I can hopefully not spend my entire hard-earned stipend on organic strawberries.  Here's what the Produce for Better Health Foundation says is in season in fall and year-round.

Off to the grocery store I go! I'll post again with how things are going in about two weeks - half-way through my month-long challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment